Thursday, October 14, 2010

Don't question the Thunderbolts

Like anyone who has ever written anything that has ever been read by anyone the question that always comes up is as old as creative writing itself.

Where do you get your ideas from?

I don't know what other writers will say, but I will say this. I have, like all writers, struggled with writers block. Once I am done with what I think is a good idea, once the idea has grown to a story and found its way on paper, there is a let down. At first it is a good let down, knowing that I can turn the mind off for a little bit. As anyone knows who writes, it is not so easy to write a story. It is a little draining. It is good to turn off for a moment.

Then, when the realization hits that there has not been a new idea in a certain amount of time, a small panic takes over. What if that is the last idea I will ever have? What if I have really written all there is for me to say?

When that feeling rushes over, it is time to start for me what is a very futile process. I start trying to create an idea. To me it is a waste of time. I can create a story from an idea but I have yet to take an idea that I manufactured and turn it into a workable story. If the idea is not a work of inspiration to me, then the story will die before its completion.

So if I do not create or invent them, then where do they come from?

They are gifts from God. Nothing more. What I tell people all the time when asked is very simple...

I do not question the thunderbolts from God, I just write them down.

Let me know what you think.

After Hours by Tim Keen (Amazon Kindle)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Thor, God of Thunder(bolts),

    I like the ole keep slinging stuff at the wall 'til something sticks approach. Quite often starting with a word or phrase and free writing what comes to the gray matter next will almost certainly point you in a direction. From there you will at least get a drizzle going even if the thunder hasn't come yet. After a coupe of free writing sessions you will notice a theme or particular train of thought. Then........BOOM!

    What say ye?

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coy,
    Thanks for the post. Quite often the thunderbolts do not result in usable thoughts. But they must be written down anyway. In this case the ones that didn't stick can not be viewed as failure. They must only be seen as "ones that didn't stick." From there it is time to move on to the next one.

    Until the idea becomes the one that sticks.

    ReplyDelete